Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rescue of a Squirrel

I saw an injured baby squirrel in our front yard this morning and didn't know what to do with her since she was still alive. I called a couple vets until I found one that would care for her free of charge. My nephew, Jay, helped me put her in a box. I made him where a glove in case there were guts underneath that we couldn't see because I knew she had to have fallen out of the tree. When she got home from school, Jewelya (the family animal lover and expert) and I took "Georgie" to the vet. Turns out that Georgie is not injured, but severely dehydrated. The vet people were so nice. They let Jewelya feed the squirrel some formula from a syringe. I was able to get pix on my camera phone, but I have no idea how to get them off. Jewelya hasn't stopped talking about it since. Oh, and the vet lady will take Georgie home to her 40 other rescued squirrels tonight. She'll have to feed her every 2 hours!! That's worse than a human baby. What a fun, rewarding day (and I don't even like animals!)!


No comments: